My Race To Win

Run with patience the race that is set before you. As followers of Christ, each of us has a customized race designed for our good and God's glory. I hope you are encouraged in your own race as I share lessons learned from mine.

Wednesday, May 30, 2018

Honoring a Friend: Jason Echols


Sometimes life hums along in a steady rhythm. The days come and go, and we hardly notice.

Then.

Then there are those days when life’s steady rhythm is interrupted in the worst way.

Yesterday, life was interrupted. God wasn’t surprised by it, but we were.

Our dear friend and loved one, Jason Echols, was suddenly taken from this life into the presence of his Savior.

I was shaken. I still am.

I have done much thinking and praying since I received the news.

Why? Why Jason? Why now?

One of the biggest things that I have wrestled with is why, after all these years, am I so affected by this?

It has been nearly 21 years since I moved away from home, and even longer since high school. Why am I so shaken?

We know that we all have different seasons of life. God gives us friends for each of those seasons. Rarely do we have the same friends throughout every season of life.

We had a unique, tightly knit group of friends during our middle and high school years. I loved those years and those people. Jason was an integral part. Time and distance does not diminish the impact our friends have on our lives. 

There are many of us who are scattered about, loosely tied together today through social media that feel like we’ve had a giant hole ripped out of our hearts. That says an awful lot about the kind of friend that Jason was to us. A friendship that could have easily picked right back up where it left off so long ago.

Let me tell you about how I remember Jason.

Jason and I attended the same Christian schools. He was one grade ahead of me. I didn’t know him as well in elementary school, but I did know something about him. I remember going to little league baseball games and watching several people we knew. One of them was Jason. What an athlete he was! I loved sports of any kind, so I loved watching my friends play baseball.

As we grew older, I got to know him better because we were both students at Grace Baptist School. A school small enough that the middle and high school grades all shared the same hallway and lunch room. He was always nice. I really can’t remember anything negative about him.

We eventually became really good friends. We even “liked each other” for a few months, but then decided to just be friends.

And we really were. I respected his opinion. I could talk to him, and he would be honest with me.

He was such a gentleman.

He was an amazing example of what a Christian young man ought to be. He was not afraid to stand up for what was right.

He could sing.

He was an amazing basketball player.

He was passionate about many things.

He was fiercely loyal.

He loved his parents. His parents loved us as if we were their own. I will never forget how he comforted us when his dad went to heaven unexpectedly.

He loved his country. We shared a love of all things historical and patriotic. I still tell my students about his Declamation speech at fine arts: Douglas MacArthur, “old soldiers never die, they just fade away.”

Even after he graduated from high school, he kept in touch. Some of us were asked to be guests on a local talk show. We were scared to death that someone was going to call in and be mean to us. When the day arrived and it was time to take calls, and who was on the line? Jason! What a relief!

My memories of Jason are so happy and good...this picture pretty much sums it up.




Melody, Reagan, and Dawson, I don’t know if you will ever see this, but I want you to know that I am praying earnestly for you. Because of what I know about Jason, I know that you were his whole life. I am praying that you can feel God’s arms wrapped tightly around you.

Jason, I am so thankful that God placed you in my life. Thank you for being such an amazing friend. I know you are enjoying heaven—seeing Jesus and reuniting with your parents—Wow!

We are hurting here.

You wrote these verses in my yearbook 28 years ago….Psalm 18:2-3 – The Lord is my rock, and my fortress, and my deliverer; my God, my strength, in whom I will trust; my buckler, and the horn of my salvation, and my high tower. I will call upon the Lord, who is worthy to be praised: so shall I be saved from my enemies.

Later on in verse 30 of that same Psalm it says, “As for God, His way is perfect…”

And it is. Whether we understand it or not.

4 comments:

  1. Sorry for your loss sweet one!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You always say things that make us all think. And I am sorry you lost a friend for a while....it won't be long until you are reunited.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Aunt Robbie. It is so comforting to know that our hope is in Jesus.

      Delete