My Race To Win

Run with patience the race that is set before you. As followers of Christ, each of us has a customized race designed for our good and God's glory. I hope you are encouraged in your own race as I share lessons learned from mine.

Sunday, September 11, 2011

Looking to Jesus...even when it's too dark to see

So many people have a “life verse”.  What exactly is a life verse?  For some, I think it’s a verse of scripture that is especially meaningful to them.  For others, it may be a verse that is like a personal mission statement.  I’ll be honest.  I’ve never selected just one life verse.  However, there is a passage of scripture that has been absolutely life changing for me over the last year or so—Hebrews 12.  I love the truths of these verses because it was like they were written just for me.  Come to think of it—they were!  They were written for you, too.  Hebrews 12: 1- 3 says:

Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us, 


Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God. 


For consider him that endured such contradiction of sinners against himself, lest ye be wearied and faint in your minds. 


There is so much here….today, I’ll highlight a few things. 


Lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us.  For years, I would read this verse and have a hard time coming up with weights and sins that I needed to set aside.  WHAT?  Yes, because some of my weights and sins included wrong thinking, selfishness, and pride.  I was too blinded by those things to even admit that I had a problem.  The recognition and confession of my wrong thinking literally opened the door to an amazingly sweet time of spiritual growth.  We all know that runners cannot run successfully if they are carrying around extra weight.  No wonder, I was not running well.  I was completely weighed down.

Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith – I needed to literally look to Jesus.  He is the author of my life – He designed the course of my race.  When we have questions about a product, book, game, etc., we may ask others around us, but who is the ultimate authority?  The inventor, author, or creator, right?  Well, since we can’t possibly have access to all the inventors, authors, and creators for every product, book, or game, we refer to the instructions that come with those respective items.  So, in my life, if Jesus (God) is the author of my life, the designer of my race, why wouldn’t I look to Him?  After all, He is the ultimate authority.  The great thing is that not only do I have the Bible to instruct me, but I also have direct access to Him.  Isn’t that amazing??  We have direct access to God, the creator of the universe, through His Son, Jesus Christ.  I don’t think we really fathom that like we should.

Consider Him….lest ye be wearied and faint in your minds.  This verse was especially meaningful because that was me – weary and faint in my mind.  The verses that follow talk about how much Jesus endured on my behalf.  He was mocked, ridiculed, and crucified for me.  There is NOTHING that I will ever endure that can even compare.  When I start to dwell on my circumstances or situations or people that I can’t control, I have to stop and consider Him. 



I have spent many hours meditating on the truths of these verses.  Every single day, I see these truths at work in my own life.  It is exciting when you actually experience God at work in your life.  I have much more to share about this passage, but I will do it in small bits.  To try to take it all in at once is like trying to drink from a fire hydrant.


Are you weary and faint in your mind?  Start looking to Jesus, even when it’s too dark to see.

1 comment:

  1. It is such a blessing to me to read this "small bit" of gleaning! Thank you for sharing your heart. I'm sure others will be encouraged along with me! And I was surely encouraged:) God bless you!

    ReplyDelete